Thursday, October 8, 2015

Currently playing: 44 days since last update Edition


I should really try to update more frequently. I mean,a blog without posts isn't much of a blog, right? But alas, a busy life demands much of my free time.

[PS3] Final Fantasy X-2: Definitely shelved after nearly 67 hours. Had a great time with it and, all things considered, it is a good game. From a gameplay stand-point, it's probably better than Final Fantasy X. Also, the Last Mission epilogue is actually a Rogue-like. And a good one if I may add. But I'm already playing another Rogue-like, so yeah. I'll pick it up again some time later.

[PC] Touhou-A-Live: Haven't touched it again since the last update. Being a PC game really kills any intention I have of playing it. I loved the last chapter I played though, the "first" final chapter. It was a huge shout out to Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together and Final Fantasy Tactics, with a side dish of Shin Megami Tensei.

[DS] Metal Max 3: 50 hours in, going to start the Liberate Erurusu (Elulusu? Erulus? Elulus? El Ruth) quest line. I'm nearly at the end of the game by the way. 50 hours sure are a lot, but anyone rushing it could probably shave off around 15 hours from this total. I'm simply playing slowly, digesting a game that isn't meant to be rushed.
Now, for the new games:

        

[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga: aka Final Fantasy meets Shin Megami Tensei. 28 hours in, just eliminated all other tribes. Having a blast with this game. The only problem I have with it is the 3 member party. Although, a party consisting of four party members could easily become too overpowered thanks to being able to change and equip skills freely.












[PS] Final Fantasy IX: Picked up. Played 5~6 hours. Dropped. The farthest I got with IX was around half of the third disc. I simply cannot like Final Fantasy IX. The characters annoy me (except Vivi), the gameplay annoys me, the overall slowness of the game annoys me... I really wanted to give it another go since it's the only mainline Final Fantasy (barring the online ones) that I haven't finished but I guess I will never finish it at this pace.







[DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky: 15 hours in and nearing the end (I think). Absolutely loving it. I remember it playing years ago but, for some reason, my save corrupted back then. Oh well. My team consists of Piplup, Vulpix and a Electrike right now and probably won't change until the post game.







I also picked up Kirby Super Star Ultra for the DS and I've playing it occasionally to avoid "RPG fatigueness".
Either way, that's all for now. Hopefully I'll update sooner next time! Until then, feel free to leave a comment!

4 comments:

  1. Nice to read you again! Don't worry, we all know first-hand about the "busy life" issue!

    My first encounter with the DS branch of the PMM series didn't go so well, yet I now think I should give these games another chance, if only because they are dungeon-crawlers with a roguelike flavour... I'd be curious to know how long Explorers of Sky turns out to be once you finish it. Knowing that these games are short may give me a good incentive to dive back into them and try my hardest to stomach the tepid dungeon design.

    On a more general note, I admire gamers like you who are able to play so many games at once! Two games at a time is my limit, and it often falls down to one when I become really smitten with a given game! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started the PMM series with the GBA version of Rescue Team and absolutely loved it. As I am loving Explorers of Sky. I did read your review months ago about Explorers and Gates to Infinity though, and maybe you should PMM another chance. If you liked Shiren, it's basically the same only with a party and easier. And "tepid dungeon design" is a given to any randomly generated game. Except for Cladun, that game had some fun dungeon designs because of no corridors linking the rooms!

      4 RPGs are my maximum. And even then, I'll focus more on one or two instead of spreading out my time between them all. Playing more than one is a must because if you get stomped or tired of one you switch out for the other!

      Oh, and there's also another Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game being released next year in Europe, if you're interested!

      Delete
    2. I think I will definitely give the DS entries another chance in the future. I may simply not have been in the right mood when I played them, and maybe I wrote them off a bit too fast!

      "There's also another Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game being released next year in Europe": I knoooow!! =D I nearly bounced with happiness when I discovered that, because I loved the first 3ds entry so much and half-feared that no sequel would ever be released. I'm really pumped up about that game and I hope that I will love it as much as Gates to Infinity!

      Delete
    3. Just a small heads-up: they're basing the new game on the Explorers and Rescue Team games since Gates to Infinity was, in general, badly received.

      I'm also pretty hyped for the new PMM. They seem to have pushed all the stops and implemented a bunch of (good) things. Here's hoping it's going to be great.

      Delete